What is now two days ago I watched the new Travis Barker: Louder Than Fear documentary. Being one who has liked Blink-182 (as well as +44) for a good number of years and having even read Mark Hoppus' autobiography, I really didn't have a clue how much of an artist the drummer aficionado is. I knew he popped up in a shit ton of places, and first noticed such with Ghostemane's song D(r)ead and was vaguely aware of his collaborative work with people like MGK (of whom I really just don't care about), and some vague idea of his person based on the old tour diary from the 2002 Pop Disaster Tour that Blink did with Green Day, however this documentary goes to show a much deeper artist than what I saw in that footage from over 20 years ago. That said it gave an incredible detail about the plane crash Barker had been in, which I was vaguely aware of but never knew the story of. What is most interesting in it all is the happenstances of tragedy bringing those in his circle closer together, trauma seems to bind what was once an otherwise juvenile act into a cohesive unit, in spite of the hilarity onstage and in older songs; as such suffering has this unique ability to as easily tear such relationships apart...
Suffering is fascinating like that. Bittersweet in its capacity to attract as much as to dilute into deeper devastation. I remember recently I had this idea to try understanding the anatomy of suffering and its social effects, but in reality such is way too vast to quantify so simply into specifics as it's messy, tragedy is, and too fuckin random to get any real major or generalised gauge on the varying aptitudes to its experience...
full post on my Patreon.
No comments:
Post a Comment