I have six total pages of notes on the title track for One Assassination Under God alone from the last day now. I think I've got the ultimate analysis brewing; plus the recent addition of You Can't Die Young as an expanded edition to the songs on Chapter 2 now raises the era to totalling 20 songs, as I also include the cover of In The Air Tonight-- not so much As Sick As The Secrets Of (Sleep) though as it's merely a remix of As Sick As The Secrets Within. I'm also considering putting God Is A Weapon, the collaboration with Falling In Reverse, in with it as well seeing as it was made and released within this timeframe and Manson's part in it, while echoing Ronnie Radke's, also seems to sing to other numbers like Meet Me In Purgatory and Enantiomorph...
| Under God, Understood by Marilyn Manson |
"Some of the inspiration when I was writing the words to this was drawn from a collection I had started building up of images that I identified with. There were a lot of Caravaggio paintings and others of that era, depicting various types of beheadings, executions of all sorts, firing squads. There was one illustration I saw where a horse was tied to each limb of the person they were killing and it ripped the person apart when the horses were set free. There was another one in which a person was sewn into a live animal and then it was set free to run off of a cliff. That one was really disturbing and for whatever reason I really identified with that one. One thing that I did notice though when I was looking at all these images is that it seemed to me that it was less about justice for the crowds of people involved in these things. It was more about the desire to see blood and to see suffering."
Dramatic, cinematic, militaristic as well as melancholic encapsulation of moments past, present and future. Assassination. Assassin-Nation. A nation of assassins.
No comments:
Post a Comment